3×04 – “An Attempt to Tip the Scales”
Overview: Tree Hill is celebrating Halloween and everyone is pretending to be someone they aren’t.
- If I were Lucas, I would have gone with the Captain Jack costume. Or the Ninja.
- I sometimes forget what an absolute ass hole Dan Scott can be. When he turns the fuckface meter up to 10, he is AMAZING. At being a fuckface.
- Peyton, rising from the floor as the Angel of Death, is one of the most stunning camera shots of the entire series. It’s gorgeous and iconic.
- I think it’s kind of adorable how they tried for 3 minutes to convince us that Nathan had another lady in his life.
- LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the introduction of Rachel Gattina. So much trouble locked into such a hot body.
- When Haley runs off, thinking that Nathan doesn’t want her; I DIE. And not in the good way. I want to sob for her. Ouch.
- I have so much fun watching Mouth & Peyton’s dance. It’s really so cheesy and set up but I can’t help it. It’s a good time.
- Lucas & Peyton both make really brave decisions about confronting their fears and their weaknesses. There’s a reason this show is so inspirational to people and these are just two small examples.
- I never would have guessed in a million years that Nathan’s perfumed letter & secret phone call were both from Chris Keller.
Best Bit: When Nathan lifts Haley off of the floor and carries her to safety.
Ugh! Moment: When Haley gets a kiss from a guy who isn’t who she thinks it is.
Fave Quote: “Be careful. His heart’s more fragile than you think.”
Biggest Question: How did Haley not know right away that it wasn’t Nathan kissing her? She should have known, right? Also? How was Deb’s phone glued to her face but not glued to the charger?
On My iPod: “Invincible” by Ok Go, “Empty Room” by Marjorie Fair & “Dance, Dance” by Fall Out Boy
3×05 – “A Multitude of Casualties”
Overview: Nathan and Lucas are fighting on & off the court, Brooke finds new competition in Rachel and Haley continues to try and win Nathan back. Oh, and Dan’s an ass.
- I am pretty sure my high school didn’t have a smoke machine. We also didn’t have late night pep rallies. Or a good basketball team. My high school sucked.
- “Damn your sperm, Danny.”
- “It was a nice moment, Haley. It’s over now.” OUCH. Can you remember thinking being in Haley’s shoes and thinking he was talking about the kiss? Yikes!
- The official introduction or Rachel Gatina. I think we were all meant to hate her but I loved her right away. I blame Danneel. She’s too amazing.
- Nathan getting Chris to help Haley with her music is just so sweet and mature and could he be more perfect, please? Though, telling her it’s a test is kind of shitty. Fair, but shitty.
- Dan & Deb’s battle through Dan’s mayoral campaign is one of the funniest things to ever happen on TV. EVER. “Can you see my ass through this?”
- Sweet, innocent, little Gigi. Too bad she becomes such a giant whore.
- “Where’s Lee Harvey Oswald when you need him?”
- Love that Nathan is keeping an eye on Haley. It has to be so scary for him, though. Wondering if history will repeat itself.
Best Bit: Every time Whitey talks. I need a Whitey in my life.
Ugh! Moment: Did Dan really have to put Deb’s toothbrush up the dog’s ass? BARFING FOREVER.
Fave Quote: Nathan: “My dad just ruined my life, and pretty soon he’ll be Mayor and he can ruin everyone else’s too.”
Biggest Question: Why did Peyton go after the mascot? What did that guy ever do to her?
On My iPod: “Rock and Roll Part Two” by Gary Glitter
3×06 – “Locked Hearts and Hand Grenades”
Overview: Brooke’s Boy Draft idea comes back to bite her and a few others. Lucas struggles with basketball & Karen struggles with her mayoral campaign.
- Dan is so gross. Only babies pee in the pool. And drunk people.
- Nathan and Haley are TALKING!! And not meanly!! And to each other!! Be still my heart.
- “If I wanted to watch cheerleaders wrestle, I’d turn on Pay-Per-View!”
- Rachel’s legalese bailout of Brooke was bitchin. I could have used her back in my day.
- Chris Keller is such an a-hole and the fact that I love him so much makes me question my morals. Oh well.
- Peyton’s bitchy attitude with Haley is annoying. She was hooking up with Luke while he was with Brooke so she really has no high horse to get up on.
- Haley looking out for Luke is really sweet. I just love their friendship.
- Peyton and Nathan were TERRIBLE as a couple but they are pretty awesome as friends. Their moments are always great.
Best Bit: Haley standing up to Peyton and then scoring her guy in the draft!
Ugh! Moment: All of the girls who are buttheads to Mouth. I want to smack them.
Fave Quote: Nathan: “I’m here to talk about Haley and her music. Not Haley and me.”
Chris: “You still don’t get it do you? They’re the same thing.”
Biggest Question: Did Brooke forget that Bevin is a hamburger shy of a Happy Meal? Shouldn’t she have guessed that Rachel would manipulate her?
On My iPod: “Shadowland” by Youth Group & “Boyfriend” by Ashlee Simpson
3×07 – “Champagne for My Real Friends, Real Pain for My Sham Friends”
Overview: The Fantasy Boy Draft has taken place and the boys are demanding dates.
- I love the sexy dream montage this episode begins with. Especially Chris and Lucas. Fantastic. Though, the Haley/Brooke dream is pretty hot. Go Nathan.
- It’s okay that I get butterflies every time Nathan and Haley even TALK a little, right?
- Rachel is so hot. Lucas must really have feelings for Brooke. I totally would have hooked up with her.
- Karen and Deb’s entire escapade is HILARIOUS!! I love their friendship and I love the way it turns out.
- Okay. Not to put Brooke down, but her “designs?” Aren’t they just typeface on existing garments of clothing?
- Mouth and Peyton’s “date” is so adorable and heartbreaking. They are just darling.
- “I mean, the beach, this balcony. I haven’t forgotten about our past Haley, I know where we got married, I know this is where we made love in the rain. I still feel our past, just like you do. I just thought it might be nice to hang out in the present for a night.”
- Rachel’s little dance while Lucas is blindfolded is AWESOME. I just love Danneel so much, you guys.
- I love that Haley wants to show Nathan her prediction. Most of all, I love that Nathan refuses to read it and instead adds his own. Such a lovely moment.
Best Bit: Nathan’s gift to Haley of their flower and the hug on the rooftop where he wraps his arms all the way around her. Be still my heart.
Ugh! Moment: Chris is funny but I cannot believe Brooke hooked up with him.
Fave Quote: “The roots are still there. It just takes time. Don’t say I never gave you anything.”
Biggest Question: Why did the foursome go to the Mall? What a terrible place for a date.
On My iPod: “Tender” by Feeder
Read the rest of my One Tree Hill, Retro Recaps here.