Welcome to Week 2 of my Retro Recaps!! Hope y’all are enjoying them! If you would like to see anything different/in addition please let me know in the comments and I will be happy to try to work it in! Happy #OTH Wednesday!
1×05 – “All That You Can’t Leave Behind”
Overview: Dan & Keith join Lucas and Nathan on the court for the Father/Son Basketball game.
- I totally forgot that this episode was the first appearance of Peyton’s “People Always Leave,” drawing. DEPRESSING.
- Nathan is such a cocky little shit. I love it. I can’t help it. It makes me giggle like a 12-year-old. So embarrassing.
- Karen is so wise. If everyone had a mother like her there would be a lot fewer Dan Scotts in the world.
- News Flash: Peyton has ISSUES. Poor girl.
- I wish Keith WOULD have laid Dan out on that garage floor. And then kicked him a few times.
- PONCHO!!! The wonderful crocheted nightmare that will live in infamy!!
- Nathan and Haley already have such great chemistry. Even when she’s correcting him and he’s talking about Peyton. It’s just magical.
- Haley is a LIAR. Just tutoring him MY ASS. I wonder if she is trying to convince Lucas more or herself…
- I am not trying to make excuses for Nathan (I swear) because here in the beginning he is a real jerk. But everyone around him up until this point is a self-centered ass hole. No one has ever put him first or taken his feeling into account. Is it a huge coincidence that he becomes a better person the minute he has someone to talk to and someone who actually listens to him when he speaks?
- State Champion Runners Up? Is that even a real thing? And would they really get a banner for that? Haven’t these people seen Top Gun? There are no points for second place.
- Lucas is such a brat. AmIRight? He has no right to be so nasty to Haley.
Best Bit: Keith telling Nathan that he’s doing fine. Someone ought to once in a while.
Ugh! Moment: Dan’s foul on Nathan. That jerk should be in jail for child abuse. What an ass.
Fave Quote: Peyton: “I don’t really smoke, I just figured since Nathan and I broke up, I got room for a new bad habit.”
Biggest Question: Was Haley already falling for Nathan at this point? “If I break that promise, I’m just as bad as you think he is.”
On My iPod: “I Don’t Want To Be” by Gavin DeGraw
1×06 – “Every Night Is Another Story”
Overview: Lucas & Nathan bond after getting stranded in the middle of nowhere. The girls also bond after getting stranded in the middle of nowhere.
- Lucas has a Discman. So cute. I remember having to lug one of those around. As well as a giant pile of CDs if you didn’t want to listen to the same damn thing over and over.
- “Love rectangle plus one, whatever that is.” Oh Brooke. But she is right. Nathan totally gave Haley the nod.
- Hey! There’s Nathan’s future dick teammate as the ref! (I’ll get into that when we hit Season 6).
- I love the barbs Nathan and Lucas exchange. They really know how to get under each other’s skin. Whitey’s is by far the best though. “I don’t give diddlee-squat about your issues with your daddy or your girlfriends.”
- “Let’s call you Brooke.” Another iconic Brookism. “Answer the question Brooke!”
- Thing, Thing 1 and Thing 3 are idiots of the lowest order but they do get the boys in their underwear so I feel I owe them some gratitude.
- Brotherly bonding is SO AWESOME. Makes me warm all over. You know what is not awesome? That story Nathan tells about Dan kicking him on the pitcher’s mound. Makes me want to cry and then beat Dan to a bloody pulp. Poor kid. No wonder he’s such a bully.
- Haley’s air drumming in the car is ADORABLE. I just want to squeeze her and put her in my pocket.
- Is it just me or is it super weird to see Nathan in the Keith Scott Body Shop hoodie?
Best Bit: Nathan and Lucas laughing about Thing 3 because he’s the third.
Ugh! Moment: When Haley sees Brooke & Peyton at school and believes that Brooke was right about her and Peyton not being friends.
Fave Quote: This episode is so full of great lines but I have to go with Haley: “Miles from normal.”
Biggest Question: What did Peyton mean about the golf ball when Haley was siphoning the gas? I don’t get it.
On My iPod: “Blueside” by Rooney and “Headlights” by Dispatch
1×07 – “Life in a Glass House”
Overview: Dan Scott hosts a party for the team and their parents where everyone has a good time right up until everyone ruins it.
- The smile that Nathan gives only to Haley is so brilliant it could power an entire country for decades. I JUST LOVE IT!
- So is Karen refusing to acknowledge Keith’s admission of love or is she sparing him the embarrassment if he only said it because of the booze?
- Brooke is a meddler. And a lying one at that. What a trouble maker.
- Haley is a better person than anyone. She doesn’t HAVE to tell Lucas about her feelings for Nathan but she does and then he gives her a hard time about it. She doesn’t have to help Peyton with Lucas but she does, knowing that Lucas wants her.
- Dan is so skeevy flirting with that bartender. GROSS.
- Awwww!! They’re cawing!! That makes me think of the finale.
- LMAO at Whitey picking all the cashews out of the party mix. Brilliant.
- Brooke is a spiteful brat for making them do it but that kiss between Lucas & Peyton has heat.
- Dan is such a creeper. First spying on Lucas and Peyton and then on Deb and Karen. Everyone’s nice time is his nightmare.
- Peyton and Lucas ride the line of hot and awkward. Why is she kissing the outside of his undershirt?
- Poor, sweet Haley. Seeing her crying on the floor of the café absolutely breaks my heart. So does seeing her turn the lights out on Nathan waiting outside.
Best Bit: Nathan telling Haley that he’s glad she came. He looks like he really means that. AWWWWW!!!!! (I might be clapping).
Ugh! Moment: Brooke telling Haley that Nathan passed around the note she wrote to him. What a bitch!
Fave Quote: Peyton: “Are you being self-deprecating?” Nathan: “Probably. If I knew what that meant.”
Biggest Question: Had Nathan really not opened up the package from Haley before Brooke got to it?
On My iPod: “She Will Be Loved” by Maroon 5 and “Calling All Angels” by Train
1×08 – “The Search for Something More”
Random Observations: Brooke tries to get back on everyone’s good side by setting Nathan and Haley up on a date and taking Peyton to a party.
- Peyton and Brooke’s new tops are so skanky. And they both look really hot in them.
- Nathan and Haley both throw some pretty great lines at Brooke but Haley’s wins. Brooke: “What’s your idea of your perfect date?” Haley: “You getting hit by a bus.”
- What is wrong with Peyton? That guy is so skuzzy looking. Not at all hot and hiding out in his very own corner of creepy. She is so damaged. (In all fairness, I’m very glad no one recorded or live blogged my high school years).
- Poor Haley. She never had any hope of denying that boy. Just look at the way they look at each other. She tries so hard not to return that grin. I DIE.
- I know they’re all worried about getting into trouble but I think not taking Peyton to the hospital was on the highest level of stupid.
- Not gonna lie, I have read some super dirty fanfic involving that nighty Nathan buys for Haley. Kind of ballsy for a first date, no?
- He is so heart breakingly honest with her when the two of them are alone. Like he just can’t help himself. He’s so starved for someone to really hear him. Such a beautiful thing.
- “Macaroni and cheese is food of the gods.” This once sentence about food should not give me so many feelings.
- Cue music. Cue fireworks. Call action. BEST KISS EVER!!!!! I have seen this a billion times and still there is an unhealthy amount of clapping and cheering going on in my living room. I bet my neighbors think i have a social disorder. SQUEEEEEEEE!!!!!!
- I love finally getting to see this side of Brooke. Sweet and funny. It makes it easier to see why others adore her.
- That little hair tuck. Lord have mercy.
- GO KAREN! About time. You know Keith is going to think about nothing but that kiss the entire time she’s gone.
- Excuse me while I go back and watch that kiss a few hundred more times. Come on. You know you will do the same.
Best Bit: Not when Nathan kisses Haley but when she kisses him back. Seriously epic. Like in an OH EM GEE, LIFE CHANGING kind of way. (BTW, the alternate shots of this kiss in 8×18 are pure gold).
Ugh! Moment: When Nathan refuses to admit to his buddies that he’s on a date with Haley. Dick move dude. I really hate it when he lets his inner Dan show.
Fave Quote: Haley: “You shouldn’t have done that Nathan.”
Biggest Question: Didn’t Brooke pass out in Nathan’s room? How did she wake up in Peyton’s bed?
On My iPod: “Dare You To Move” by Switchfoot