Four weeks ago today we said goodbye to One Tree Hill for good and I wrote my final recap of the show. Or so I thought. Like many other OTH fans, I’m having a hard time letting go. So, starting today, I will be writing up the first eight seasons of One Tree Hill from the beginning. I had such a great time recapping season 9 and have missed my OTH Wednesdays and my OTH Family so much that I’ve decided to go back and recap them all, 4 episodes at a time, every Wednesday for 44 weeks. I can’t seem to make myself stop watching it anyways so I may as well, right? I’m really looking forward to writing them and hope you guys enjoy reading them as well! XOXO
1×01 – “Pilot”
Overview: Half brothers Nathan and Lucas Scott find their separate worlds colliding when Lucas is invited to join the high school basketball team.
- Good LORD James looks so young. It’s rather shocking after watching season 9. Baby boy grew up very nicely.
- Every time I see one of the players take off their over shirt thing, I think of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie and the coach that was always folding them on the sidelines. How awesome would it be to see Whitey folding shirts?
- Peyton is gross. “Don’t bother showering tonight.” So she WANTS him to be stinky and sweaty when they bone later? No thanks (ok, maybe. It is James we’re talking about).
- Junk is hilarious. I wish we would have had more of his commentary throughout the seasons.
- So many iconic scenes in the Pilot. The bridge being the most iconic of them all I would say. I get chills every time I see it.
- Karen has always been an HBIC.
- Nathan’s nipple piercing. Who thought that would be a good idea? Hilarious.
- Also, I am going to need to ask my guy friends if their girlfriends were allowed to shower with them in high school.
- I love that Nathan has his own entrance song. It makes me laugh and roll my eyes at the same time. And it’s kinda hot.
Best Bit: I loved Lucas and Peyton’s convo on the side of the road. Knowing NOTHING about the show, I knew after seeing that, they’d end up together.
Ugh! Moment: Every time Dan Scott opens his mouth. What a douche bag.
Fave Quote: Lucas (quoting Shakespeare): “There is a tide in the affairs of men, which taken at the flood, leads on to fortune but omitted, and the voyage of their life is bound in shallows and miseries. On such a full sea are we now afloat and we must take the current when it serves or lose the ventures before us.”
Biggest Question: How exactly did Tim & Nathan escape punishment for the bus thing? Was it Dan? Principal Turner? Can anyone tell me????
On My iPod: “Hands Down” by Dashboard Confessional, “Are You Gonna Be My Girl?” by Jet, “Lapdance” by N.E.R.D, “Rest In Pieces” by Saliva.
1×02 – “The Places You Have Come to Fear the Most”
Overview: Lucas struggles to find his place with the Ravens and with Nathan’s girlfriend.
- Nathan’s headphones make me laugh. As does the way he wears them. Thank GOD for ear buds. Did we all look that ridiculous back then?
- How awkward is it when Dan yells “Son!” and Lucas turns around? Makes me cringe.
- Nathan and Peyton appear to be trying to eat each other’s faces off while making out.
- Nearly everything that comes out of Whitey’s mouth makes me laugh: “I’d stand up, but every time I do somebody kicks me in the ass for putting you on the team.” “Jagielski, when you find the pumps to match your skirt, you might meet us in the gym.”
- “THUD Magazine” sounds like porn. Every time I hear it my first thought is some kind of Penthouse spoof.
- How cute is it that Haley had a pet bunny as a kid? Hee!
- The first two episodes have included a Dawson’s Creek references. Way to pay homage.
- “Your art matters.” Another Lucas & Peyton moment that makes me smile.
- Hearing Gavin’s “Belief” puts me in such a different OTH headspace that I forget that it plays on this episode. GREAT song.
Best Bit: Lucas turning to reveal that he had taken his last name off of his jersey. Such a bold move and proof that actions speak louder than words.
Ugh! Moment: “I didn’t invite you to come in. I just asked if you wanted to.” Peyton is such a bitch! And a total tease!
Fave Quote: Haley: “She doesn’t want to go. She doesn’t want her high school sweetheart, slash your brother Dan, slash the jerk who abandoned Lucas, slash the father of Nathan, the team’s star player… Slash my wrists if I have to hear the story again. Let’s go!”
Biggest Question: I don’t think I ever realized that it was Whitey who told Dan to take the scholarship even though Karen was pregnant. Did Dan decide on his own not to ask her to come along?
On My iPod: “Belief” by Gavin DeGraw
1×03 – “Are You True?”
Overview: Nathan takes his hazing of Lucas to the next step by asking Haley to be his tutor.
- Even though Nathan is still a total dick at this point, I feel bad for him when he misses that basket. Fricken Dan, man. Blech.
- Keith and the hissing. I DIE LAUGHING. Can’t believe I had forgotten about that.
- Naked people in the back seat count now sits at 1.
- Ok. How hilarious is Nathan’s pouting and whining? He looks and sounds like such a toddler. Arms crossed and everything. Someone call the waaamulance.
- Haley is pretty much the cutest thing ever.
- How did I never see Lucas throw his name sticker thing on the burning boat? It’s amazing what you notice on the 8th rewatch.
- Still amazed that they were allowed to show that much nakedness on The WB. That is a LOT of skin not being covered by basketballs. Wowzers.
- Nathan’s black socks with his black shoes make it look like he’s wearing dress socks with gym shoes. Drives me nuts. Don’t ask me why. And no, I will never get over it.
- There it is!! THE moment! *squeeeeee!!!!* Our favorite couple has now locked eyes for the very first time.
- Every exchange Nathan and Haley have between now and 1×08 makes me a bit giddy. Just so you know. (Ok, fine, I’ll admit it, they ALWAYS make me giddy).
- GAH! That cocky smile. KILL ME NOW.
Best Bit: I bet you’ll NEVER guess! “Don’t say I never gave you anything.”
Ugh! Moment: Dan. Again. His constant yammering to Nathan makes me want to kick him in the nads. When I’m done with that, I’ll kick all those booster women in the box. What a bunch of slunts!
Fave Quote: Haley: “The point is at the end of the day, all your bluster and BS don’t mean anything to math because math don’t care. And neither do I.”
Biggest Question: Why does Haley apologize to Lucas before she goes to see Nathan? For the lie she hasn’t told yet? For helping the enemy?
On My iPod: “How Good It Can Be” by The 88 and “You Dance” by Eastmountainsouth.
1×04 – “Crash Into You”
Overview: As part of his deal with Haley, Nathan invites Lucas to a party where he does exactly what Haley told him not to.
- HA! This is the game Nathan tells Haley about in 6×02! Finally I figured it out!
- LOL at Haley’s hat. She’s too cute.
- Haley is so smart. And so sweet. Trying so hard to get those Scott boys to walk in the other’s shoes.
- Nathan sees Lucas outside with Peyton before he decides to put the Dan & Karen video in. Not sure I realized that before. Still, not nice.
- Haley: “I am really fine.” Nathan: “You’re a little high on yourself aren’t you? Goin around telling people you’re all fine?” CORN BALL CITY!
- I really loved Deb for reaching out to Karen that way. She “seemed” so stable and normal and sweet.
- Nathan is the worst liar. If some guy gave my car to ANYONE I would beat his ass. And then he wants sex. Adorable (not really cute at all though).
- I cannot help but laugh at Nathan & Peyton’s last fight. He legit seems floored that she would break up with him. He even includes a lovely, high pitched “WHAT?”
- EEEP! Haley is caught in a lie! All for a good cause though, right?
Best Bit: Nathan’s moments of honesty with Haley. First, about the possibility of life being easier without basketball and then about needing basketball to get away from his dad . The first glimpses of his vulnerability.
Ugh! Moment: Also Nathan. The party game, the video, the car accident. Dick moves. Majorly.
Fave Quote: Peyton: “I guess I’m just a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside a bitch.”
Biggest Question: Does Nathan know that Peyton is the one who drew the comic because he’s the guy who left his hat on during sex?
On My iPod: “Empty Apartment” by Yellowcard